Thursday, February 7, 2013

King Obama

from obamacartoon.blogspot.com
Well I promised to go find some funny or happy shit to post but I just can't get past this whole Obama drone thing...so it's time to rant.  Given my position as a member of the US Armed Forces, I'm treading into some delicate territory, so I should make a few things clear right now.

This blog represents my personal opinions, and my opinions only.  They do not represent the opinions of the US Army or any branch of the military, nor any members thereof.  Hell they don't represent my wife's opinions half the time, but that's ok. 

I should also point out for the record that I am by no means anti-government.  I am, however, very pro-Constitution and can't sit idly by while it is shit all over upon by our government officials on both sides of the aisle.  We have a Constitution for a reason, and that Constitution also contains provisions to amend it if we find it no longer suits our needs.  What it doesn't provide for is the President or anyone else simply ignoring it or circumventing it every time he finds some provision in it inconvenient.

Basically, Obama has declared that he can order the killing of anyone, including American citizens, wherever he wants to and whenever he wants to.  This is fucking chilling, and I am not exaggerating one bit.  So if Obama decides that you are a terrorist, you can be assassinated without any trial or due process.

Yeah, this is kind of old news, except that now we finally know the Presidents reasoning for proclaiming this right.  A memo leaked to NBC claims that (quoting Judge Napolitano here):  the law reposes into the hands of any unnamed “high-level official,” not necessarily the president, the lawful power to decide when to suspend constitutional protections guaranteed to all persons and kill them without any due process whatsoever.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/02/07/obama-gives-himself-permission-to-kill/#ixzz2KHkdFEBv

Oh but Rick, it's not like he's going to send a drone over to your house for writing this blog post.  You're overreacting.  No, I'm not worried about Obama sending a drone over to kill me, or anyone I know, I'm not even worried about him using this self-proclaimed authority in a haphazard way.  But what I am really worried about is the precedent this sets. 

But hell, this isn't even a precedent.  Bush snubbed his nose at the Constitution also with the so called "Patriot Act".  You know, the one that says the government can spy on your phone calls, emails, what web pages you visit, library records, and all that shit without a warrant.  So the government has no need for warrants anymore, and apparently now it has no need for evidence or due process either.

The Constitution may not be perfect in bringing guilty people to justice.  The fact that people like Ray Lewis and Casey Anthony and OJ are walking free are proof of that.  (Well ok, technically OJ is in jail but not for the murder he committed).  But the Constitution is intended to protect the rights of citizens, and deliberately makes it difficult for the government to convict them and sets specific processes for convictions.  Just because the President finds the Constitution to be a fucking nuisance doesn't give him the right to circumvent it. 

1 comment: